ISMI's 20th Anniversary Celebration
Support ISMI and the study of modern Israel at Emory by donating today
About Modern Israel
ISMI Featured Docments:
Following Egyptian President Sadat’s historic address to the Knesset, PM Begin welcomes Sadat’s bold initiative, seeking an end to the conflict with other Arab states through negotiated treaties. Begin states, “We extend our hand to all neighboring states and their peoples in an offer of peace and good neighborliness, and appeal to them to establish bonds of cooperation and mutual help with the sovereign Jewish People settled in its Land.” Israel signs a peace treaty with Egypt in 1979 and with Jordan in 1994.
Click here for Camp David primary sources
Surveys and Polls
- Israel Democracy Institute-Guttman Center for Peace: Monthly Peace Index Surveys November 2018
- Israel Democracy Institute-Guttman Center for Peace: Monthly Peace Index Surveys October 2018
- Israel Democracy Institute-Guttman Center for Peace: Monthly Peace Index Surveys August 2018
- Israel Democracy Institute-Guttman Center for Peace: Monthly Peace Index Surveys July 2018
- Pew Research Center, “Republicans and Democrats Grow Even Further Apart in Views of Israel, Palestinians," January 2018
Program & Events
- December 13, 2018 -- Eli Sperling, "The History of Israeli Culture and Society," and "Understanding Contemporary Israel Through Hebrew Hip Hop," The Weber School, Atlanta, GA
- December 7-9, 2018 -- Ken Stein, "Israel: Sovereignty, Identity and the Quest for Peace," B'nai Jeshrun Congregation, Cleveland, OH
- December 5, 2018 -- Ken Stein, "Forty Years After Camp David: America, Israel, and the Peace Process," 7pm, University of Hartford, Hartford, CT
- November 27, 2018 -- Eli Sperling, "Hebrew Music and the Proliferation of American Zionism: 1920-1948," Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA
- November 9-11, 2018 -- ISMI@20, Anniversary Celebration, Atlanta, GA
- November 9, 2018 -- Professor Asher Susser, "Consequences for Middle Eastern States Since the Arab Spring," 12:00pm, Emory University, Anthropology 303, Atlanta, GA
About the Institute
- Founded in 1998, we are the OLDEST permanent Israel academic center in the United States.
ISMI has supported 14 Israel Visiting Scholars who have taught 700 students in 40 courses.
ISMI offers enriching internships to a select few Emory students every semester
- ISMI conducts Israel education workshops for teachers across the country