About Modern Israel
Featured Document (English and Spanish):
The Balfour Declaration was the Jewish charter that Herzl failed to obtain from the Ottoman Sultan twenty years earlier. The terms of the declaration were included in the preamble of the Palestine Mandate’s Articles (1922), and given international sanction and political legitimacy by the newly formed League of Nations. Many historians of Zionism and Israel view the Declaration as part of political progression – from Herzl’s Jewish State (1897), to the Articles of the Mandate (1922) to the UN partition Resolution (1947) that proposed the creation of an Arab and Jewish state in Palestine – that ultimately culminated in Israel’s Declaration of Independence (1948).
El próximo Noviembre se rememora el centenario de la Declaración de Balfour. La Declaración fue una carta privada presentada en Noviembre de 1917, por el Ministro británico de Relaciones Exteriores, Balfour, dirigida a Lord Rothschild, un distinguido miembro de la comunidad judía británica. Cuando fue emitida no era un documento oficial. Se oficializó en 1922 cuando la Liga de las Naciones protocolizó la administración Británica en Palestina.
Surveys and Polls
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Majority of Israelis Support their Parties Joining a Blue and White Coalition," November 3, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Conditional Partnership 2019: Relations between Jews and Arabs in Israel," September 22, 2019
- Israel Democracy institute, "Two Weeks to Election Day: IDI Poll Reveals Jewish Israelis are in Favor of a Unity Government," September 2, 2019
- Moshe Dayan Center, "Middle East Demographics to 2030," August 21, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "The Positions of the Israeli Right-Wing," August 12, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Arab Politics in Israel: Where are they Headed?" July 22, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "How Jewish Israelis Feel Towards Non-Jews and the Current Conversion Process – Shavuot Survey," June 4, 2019
- Pew Study, "A new perspective on Americans’ views of Israelis and Palestinians," April 24, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute-Guttman Center for Peace: Monthly Peace Index Surveys
Program & Events
- February 3-24, -- Eli Sperling, "Topics in Israeli Politics, Culture and Society: A Four-Part, Annual Lecture Series on Modern Israel as Part of The Temple's Tamid Adult Education Program," The Temple, Atlanta, GA
- November 20, 2019 & January 29, 2020 -- Eli Sperling, "The Evolution of Israeli Political Culture, Society and the Arts: A Two-Part Lunch and Learn Series," MJCCA, Atlanta, GA
- November 8, 2019 -- Rich Walter, "What makes an Effective Israel Learning Experience?" Marks Jewish Community House, Brooklyn, NY
- November 4, 2019 -- Eli Sperling, "Israel 101 for Those Considering Conversion to Judaism," The Temple, Atlanta, GA
- October 27 and November 3 -- Rich Walter, "Beyond the Vote: Israeli Politics and Diaspora-Israel relations," Congregation Shearith Israel, Atlanta, GA
- October 2, 2019 -- Eli Sperling, “Art and Ideology in Israeli Politics,” Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA
- September 27, 2019 -- Eli Sperling, "Israel Shabbat: A Panel of Emory Faculty Answering Student Questions about Modern Israel," Marcus Hillel House, Atlanta, GA
- September 8 and 15 -- Rich Walter, "Beyond BDS: Understanding Efforts to Deligitimize Israel as a Jewish State," Congregation Shearith Israel, Atlanta, GA
- September 5, 2019 -- Ken Stein "Across the Divide: Examining the Past, Present and Future of Engagement with Israel," Israel Policy Forum, Atlanta, GA
- November 9-11, 2018 -- ISMI@20, Anniversary Celebration, Atlanta, GA
- Click here to see more programs and events
About the Institute
- Founded in 1998, we are the OLDEST permanent Israel academic center in the United States.
ISMI has supported 15 Israel Visiting Scholars who have taught 712 students in 41 courses.
ISMI offers enriching internships to a select few Emory students every semester
- ISMI conducts Israel education workshops for teachers across the country
- ISMI @ 20 Celebration—our history since 1998