About Modern Israel
Featured Document (English and Spanish):
No draft declaration of Independence existed until April 1948. Using the American Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution as philosophical frameworks, a small group of attorneys and politicians pieced together Israel’s Declaration of Independence. Other important political decisions pertaining to Jewish statehood were left until the last minute: the location of the State’s capital, its final name, and how to bring together several Jewish military organizations under one command.
Antes de abril de 1948 no existía un proyecto de declaración de independencia. Un pequeño grupo de abogados y políticos dieron forma a la Declaración de Independencia de Israel, partiendo de la Declaración de Independencia de los Estados Unidos y la Constitución de los Estados Unidos como marco filosófico. Asimismo, otras decisiones políticas importantes concernientes al establecimiento del Estado judío se tuvieron que dejar para último minuto, entre ellas, la ubicación de la capital del Estado, su nombre definitivo y cómo unificar las diversas organizaciones militares bajo un solo comando.
Surveys and Polls
- Israel Democracy Institute, "The Israeli Democracy Index: 2019," January 7, 2020
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Majority of Israelis Support their Parties Joining a Blue and White Coalition," November 3, 2019
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, "Generation Z in the MENA Region – Similarities and Variances among Young Adults in Israel and Selected MENA Arab Countries," October 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Conditional Partnership 2019: Relations between Jews and Arabs in Israel," September 22, 2019
- Israel Democracy institute, "Two Weeks to Election Day: IDI Poll Reveals Jewish Israelis are in Favor of a Unity Government," September 2, 2019
- Moshe Dayan Center, "Middle East Demographics to 2030," August 21, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "The Positions of the Israeli Right-Wing," August 12, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "Arab Politics in Israel: Where are they Headed?" July 22, 2019
- Israel Democracy Institute, "How Jewish Israelis Feel Towards Non-Jews and the Current Conversion Process – Shavuot Survey," June 4, 2019
- Pew Study, "A new perspective on Americans’ views of Israelis and Palestinians," April 24, 2019
Program & Events
- March 2, 2019 -- Eli Sperling,"From Sadat’s Visit to Jerusalem–Today: Challenges and Opportunities in Arab-Israeli Multi-Lateral Negotiations,” St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY
- February 25, 2019 -- Eli Sperling, Panel Discussion Following Film, "Ma'abarot," Atlanta Jewish Film Festival, Atlanta, GA
- February 3-24, -- Eli Sperling, "Topics in Israeli Politics, Culture and Society: A Four-Part, Annual Lecture Series on Modern Israel as Part of The Temple's Tamid Adult Education Program," The Temple, Atlanta, GA
- January 8-9, 2019 -- Ken Stein, “Israel’s Role in American Jewish Identity,” JNF Educator Meetups, Aventura and West Palm Beach, FL
- December 29, 2019 -- Ken Stein, "Origins of Modern Israel: 'to 1949' and '1949 - present,'" Sabin Winter Student Leadership Forum, Washington, DC
- November 21, 2019 -- Ken Stein, “US-Israeli Relationship: 1945-2019, From Truman to Trump,” Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
- November 20, 2019 & January 29, 2020 -- Eli Sperling, "The Evolution of Israeli Political Culture, Society and the Arts: A Two-Part Lunch and Learn Series," MJCCA, Atlanta, GA
- November 13, 2019 -- Ken Stein, “Why did Camp David work in 1978 but will not work similarly today?” Jerusalem Institute for Public Policy, Jerusalem, Israel
- November 9-11, 2018 -- ISMI@20, Anniversary Celebration, Atlanta, GA
- Click here to see more programs and events
About the Institute
- Founded in 1998, we are the OLDEST permanent Israel academic center in the United States.
ISMI has supported 16 Israel Visiting Scholars who have taught 760 students in 43 courses.
ISMI offers enriching internships to a select few Emory students every semester
- ISMI conducts Israel education workshops for teachers across the country
- ISMI @ 20 Celebration—our history since 1998